History 

Carlingford Priory / Newry Man Lost

CARLINGFORD PRIORY
The Dominican Priory at Carlingford Co. Louth built in 1305 is believed to have be founded by Richard de Burgo 2nd Earl of Ulster, with the Friary itself being dedicated to St. Malachy. 13707570_533603750174892_1838652288511903486_n
All that remains today is a nave and chancel church with a central tower and some domestic buildings about 30 meters to the south. 13708400_533603690174898_7717984625960125545_o (1)Crenellations were added to the walls and a machicolation was built above the doorway plus two small towers were added to the northwest and southwest corners of the west gable in 1423, this gave the church its fortified appearance with its center tower being added in the early 14th century.13775484_533603766841557_3087268723591666089_n13754288_533603650174902_8927358175128853096_n
The Priory was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1540 under the power of the monasteries dissolution act and was left to its own demise before becoming the center of a repossession struggle between the Dominicans and Franciscans in the 1670’s.   St Oliver Plunkett himself resolved the dispute and ruled in favour of the Dominicans who subsequently abandoned the site in the 18th century in favour of their present day location in Dundalk.13754144_533603870174880_112006796142832665_n
The Priory is now a national monument and is left safely in the care of the Office of Public works who ensure it is open to the public for everyone to enjoy this historical treasure.

Related posts

Leave a Comment